Toyota Research Institute
Founded in 2017, Toyota Ventures is a San Francisco Bay Area-based venture capital firm with $500M+ AUM that invests in early-stage startups around the world in frontier and climate technologies. We are on a mission to discover whatâs next for Toyota by helping startups bring groundbreaking technologies and business models to market quickly. Weâve invested in over 70 companies to date, including AM Batteries, Bipi (acquired), Blackmore (acquired), e-Zinc, Intuition Robotics, Joby Aviation (NYSE: Joby), May Mobility, Nauto, Revel, and Stoke Space.
Our firm is growing and we are looking for an associate for the Toyota Ventures Frontier Fund to help source and screen innovative companies in areas like AI, mobility, autonomy, robotics, fintech, digital health, smart cities, and materials. Along with a degree in a relevant field and a minimum of 3 years of related work experience, we are seeking someone with a strong understanding of deep tech. Hands-on experience in a development or product management role related to one of our investment areas is a plus. The role also requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, an understanding of industry trends, and a knack for spotting the early stage startups that are defining those trends.
The ideal candidate will be a natural networker who is already plugged into the startup ecosystem and is familiar with leading entrepreneurs and investors in deep tech. Experience creating cap tables, digesting financial statements, and preparing investment memos is also important. We also value diversity and believe in âkeeping it weird.â If this sounds like a good fit, and youâre passionate about finding and funding innovative companies, we look forward to hearing from you!
This role is based in the San Francisco Bay Area (we have offices in both San Francisco and Los Altos, CA), but remote work within other U.S. cities is possible.
- Network and take part in industry and VC events, organizations
- Help generate deal-flow and source high-potential target companies
- Meet with and evaluate companies to make recommendations on investing
- Participate in due diligence, competitive analyses, and industry deep dives
- Prepare memos and present potential investments to the Investment Committee
- Support deal negotiations and closings
- Analyze latest industry trends and author market research briefings
- Collaborate with Toyota Ventures platform team to support portfolio companies
- 3+ years of work experience in related role; previous experience in venture capital or an operational role in a technology company preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in business, computer science, engineering or relevant field
- High level of integrity and professionalism, with ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Entrepreneurial-minded and well-networked
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong financial modeling and analysis skills
- Extensive experience working with Excel and Google Suite
- Comfortable with ambiguity and risk
- Ability to work collaboratively with team members
- Track record of successfully completing projects with minimal guidance
- Passion for learning about new technologies and understanding their business potential
The pay range for this position at the commencement of employment is expected to be between $120,000 and $155,000/year for California-based roles; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Note that TRI offers a generous benefits package (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave) and an annual cash bonus structure. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people with unique backgrounds, education and life experiences. We are dedicated to fostering an innovative and collaborative environment by living the values that are an essential part of our culture. We believe diversity makes us stronger and are proud to provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all, without regard to an applicantâs race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.