Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isnât a problem. Itâs an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work â they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, âAlation makes me look like a rockstar.â
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And weâre just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding – valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names – Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazineâs Best Workplaces list for the fourth time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
Alation is looking for a Senior Technical Writer to join our team. You will be responsible for developing comprehensive Technical Product Documentation for varying user audiences. The Product Documentation team is part of Alationâs Self-Service and Adoptability group which is dedicated to helping customers improve their knowledge, skills and effectiveness with Alation.
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced documentation expert with a desire to empower a curious and rational world and a talent for transforming complex technical concepts into user-friendly and clear instructions
What you’ll do:
- Gain a broad and deep understanding of the Alation product
- Independently gather information from subject matter experts
- Create engaging content that accurately and completely meets the needs of a target audience (admins, analysts, business users)
- Author various types of technical documentation, such as release notes, FAQs, feature documentation, troubleshooting articles, topical guides, and on-demand docs
- Draft, edit, and publish documentation, working closely with the Engineering, Design, and Product teams to ensure quality
- Perform peer documentation reviews
- Maintain the existing information architecture and repositories
- Collaborate with the team in creating a successful information strategy for the company
- Contribute to creating effective documentation processes
- Contribute to discussions on the Customer Community site as an Alation expert
You should have:
- 7 years of industry experience as a technical writer creating documentation for software products in the data industry
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A solid understanding of style guides and their application
- Able to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and work streams and deliver on schedule
- A collaborative approach to getting things done
- Creativity and curiosity, motivation to get to the root cause, attention to detail
Nice to have:
- Experience in RDBMS and SQL, including reading and writing SQL queries
- Experience with Docs as Code, GitHub, MadCap Flare, or other documentation development tools
- Confidence using the Linux command line
- Familiarity with the ETL processes and BI tools
- Familiarity with the Big Data analytics and cloud platforms
- Strong analytical skills and critical thinking
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds – from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
– Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
– High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
– Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
– Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
– Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!