The Senior Counsel, Product & IP will be part of Celonisâ global Legal, Ethics, and Compliance organization and initially report to the Vice President & AGC, Commercial and Product. The Senior Counsel will be part of a close-knit team of legal experts all over the world and will take responsibility for supporting the Celonis Products and Engineering organizations and managing the companyâs IP portfolio, all while encouraging best practices, managing risks, and enabling innovation. A successful candidate will be expected to provide pragmatic, creative, collaborative and solution-oriented legal support; will have a strong business sense and have experience working as a self-starter in an environment that is fast-paced, business and results-oriented and team-focused.
- Serve as legal business partner to the companyâs Product and Engineering organizations, supporting new product and feature development, launches and end-of-life motions
- Manage the companyâs patent and trademark portfolios with the support of outside counsel, including IP monitoring and enforcement
- IP clearance and due diligence
- Chair the companyâs Patent Committee, and be responsible for reviewing invention submissions, gathering consensus opinions on whether patents should be sought for inventions in accordance with the companyâs patent strategy, and, where appropriate, managing outside counsel in the patent application process
- Administer the Celonis Patent Reward Program
- Manage policies for, and provide enablement training on, best practices for the use and protection of the Companyâs intellectual property holdings (including patents, trademarks, copyright and trade secrets)
- Provide expert advice and support on technology matters pertinent to the company, including AI/Large Language Models, Data Use and Handling, and Open Source Software
- Support People & Culture on employee-related IP policies and issues
- IP Licensing and Contracts: Consult and, where necessary, negotiate on IP licensing provisions to allow the use of the company’s IP by third parties while retaining control and receiving appropriate compensation.
- Contribute to ongoing process improvement, reduction of friction and problem solving within areas of Legal and Compliance.
- Further Celonisâ business, financial and risk management objectives through diligent, proactive and creative lawyering.
- Law degree from a highly-regarded school.
- Active bar membership in relevant jurisdiction.
- Native or bilingual fluency in English, business fluency in a second language would be a significant plus.
- 7+ years combined experience in law firm and/or in-house legal department, preferably with time spent supporting software company clients with a SaaS focus.
- Broad understanding of technology products and business operations.
- A strong sense of ownership, inquisitive and enthusiastic about technology, enjoy being continually challenged, and demonstrated sound judgment in ambiguous situations.
- Highly adaptable and flexible â you are not stuck in your ways, but rather are comfortable with jumping into undefined programs and you are able to bring structure and results.
- Ability to think âoutside the boxâ and address complex matters with creative solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal, written/verbal communication and negotiation skills.
- Highly organized, both in thought, approach, and in written work product.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize, with a business-oriented mindset.
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with demanding internal clients and work effectively with remote team and management members.