Building Decarbonization Coalition
ABOUT THE COALITION
The Building Decarbonization Coalition (BDC) aligns building industry stakeholders with energy providers, environmental organizations and local governments to help electrify homes and workspaces with clean energy. Through convening, policy analysis and consumer awareness building, the Coalition is pursuing fast, fair action to accelerate the development of zero-emission homes and buildings that will help states across the nation cut one of its largest sources of climate pollution, while creating safe, healthy and affordable communities.
BDC is bringing together policymakers, market actors, organized labor, environmental justice groups, advocates and other stakeholders across priority states and regions to co-create and advance a common approach to phasing out gas appliances. Together, the states we are targeting represent 60% of the U.S. gas demand in buildings.
In this newly created position, the Mid-Atlantic Regional Manager will bring deep energy and climate knowledge, political savvy, and coalition-building and campaigning experience to serve this place-based role in the respective region. The Mid-Atlantic Regional Manager will report to the Director of State Mobilization and support BDCâs Groundswell campaign focused on accelerating nationwide momentum towards making building decarbonization and the clean energy transition inevitable.
This position is designed for a highly motivated self-starter with prior local- and state-level building decarbonization policy and market development experience. The Mid-Atlantic Regional Manager brings a knowledge and familiarity of the statewide players, the challenges and the opportunities in the region; and, will serve as the on-the-ground presence gaining expertise in the regionâs existing strengths, gaps and greatest value add.
Strategy Development & Implementation
- In partnership with the Director of State Mobilization and staff leadership, create and implement a state- and regional- level strategy for the mid-atlantic [specific attention in MD, NJ, and PA], including short- and long-term goals and outcomes that cascade from an overarching strategic roadmap for achieving stated goals and objectives.
- In support of the regional building decarbonization roadmap, lead the development of the policy and regulatory agenda for building decarbonization at state- and regional levels in the Mid-Atlantic.
- Serve as BDCâs main point of contact in relevant in-state and regional coalitions.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with key state policymakers, external partners, and in-state allies (local non-profits, communications firms, lobbyists, etc.) in key states.
- Identify lobbying, communications, advocacy and other strategic partnerships needed to succeed, and develop and oversee consultant and technical assistance contracts to implement them.
- Working with BDCâs federal lobbyist and Director of State Mobilization, track key IRA guidance and funding opportunities as they relate to BDCâs state/regional work.
- Continuously improve knowledge of state-level building decarbonization, environmental justice, and equity policies and integrate it into the state/regional work.
Policy Research, Analysis & Technical Assistance
- Serve as the lead point person on policy education and communication with Mid-Atlantic policymakers and regulators, including developing strong relationships, identifying opportunities and priorities and working in coalition with others to move the Coalitionâs policy agenda forward.
- Working with BDCâs communications and research teams, identify and implement research, analysis, and technical assistance needs in the region.
- Oversee production strategic documents and/or marketing materials to advance the policy agenda and establish the Coalition as the go-to resource for policymakers and regulators.
- As part of the regional building decarbonization roadmap, and working with BDCâs Market Transformation team, establish a market development agenda for the state that includes the strategies and partnerships necessary to transform the market toward building electrification in alignment with the Coalitionâs national strategic plan.
- In partnership with the Director of Communications, support the development of consumer awareness building campaigns and efforts that clarify the customer and industry value propositions, inspire improvements in the supply chain and leverage a policy environment that supports building decarbonization.
- Determine the need for and facilitate industry- or equipment-specific and/or regionally-focused working groups to advance building decarbonization within the state.
- In partnership with the Market Transformation team, support the facilitation and implementation of market development activities such as changes to equipment/appliance specifications, industry-led consumer awareness campaigns, innovative financing and program design (incentives) and workforce development.
- Support BDCâs Thermal Networks Sr. Manager with identifying opportunities and to advance TENs and to educate policymakers, legislators, organized labor, environmental justice advocates, utility companies, regulators, and clean energy advocates on the potential benefits of TENs in the region.
Resource Development & Management
- In partnership with the Director of State Mobilization, identify key initiatives, scope the funding needs for the Coalitionâs state-based strategies.
- In partnership with the Deputy Director and Director of State Mobilization, oversee the build out of any state-based support needs, including the recruitment and hiring of any contractor and consulting staff.
- Coordinate with other program teams (Communications, Groundswell, Consumer Inspiration, Operations) as needed to accomplish organizational objectives.
- Represent BDC at key conferences, events, webinars, etc. and in the media as needed.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong commitment to the mission, policies and goals of BDC, and a proven track record of accomplishments and subject matter expertise in the building decarbonization or climate space.
- Political sophistication and policy analysis, exceptional coalition building skills and the ability to communicate, work effectively and build consensus among a variety of internal and external stakeholders; grassroots organizing experience a plus.
- Mastery of relationship-building skills with a wide range of diverse internal and external constituencies.
- Experience with successful public-private partnerships with diverse stakeholders who may possess divergent viewpoints and agendas; a broad network that includes environmental NGOs and justice groups, labor, manufacturing and real estate/development preferred; multi-sector experience, including public, private and non-governmental is optimal.
- 7-10 years of experience, preferably with solid understanding of building electrification and/or climate solutions.
- Proven understanding of clean energy framework/plans, particularly in Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania including relevant legislation, public policymaking/legislative and regulatory environments and success in influencing policy agendas and outcomes at local and state levels.
- Highly collaborative work style with the ability to operate as a peer and thought partner to the Director of State Mobilization and other team leads.
- Outstanding leadership and relationship-building skills with clarity of vision and a commitment to the highest levels of integrity, quality and collaboration.
- Ability to set clear priorities, keen analytic, organizational and problem-solving skills that enable sound decision making. Sets and achieves high-performance expectations that are motivating and results-oriented.
- Seeks out and delivers timely and direct feedback that contributes to the ongoing development of oneself, team members, and a positive organizational culture.
- Outstanding research, writing and verbal communications skills; strong public speaking and facilitation skills essential.
- Exceptional project management skills and high degree of emotional intelligence to support collaboration between and among diverse stakeholders.
- Entrepreneurial drive to build a program from the ground up; start-up experience is optimal.
WORK ENVIRONMENT, SCHEDULE, & TRAVEL
The Mid-Atlantic Regional Manager will work remotely from their home and can be based anywhere in the United States, mid-atlantic area is preferred. Some travel will be required, respective of Covid-related health and safety guidelines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is a remote, full-time, salaried position with comprehensive benefits. Typical work hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
COMMITMENT TO EQUAL EMPLOYMENT
The Building Decarbonization Coalition values diversity in all its forms and is committed to an inclusive and transparent recruitment process. We recruit and hire without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity, age, religion, creed, disability (actual or perceived), medical condition including genetic characteristics, marital status, domestic partnership status, citizenship, military service, height, weight, HIV/AIDS status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law or local ordinance. People of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $120,000-$140,000 commensurate with experience, plus a competitive benefits package including paid health insurance coverage, retirement benefits with company matching, unlimited flexible paid leave, 12 paid holidays, access to professional development resources, and much more.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.